Homemade Chai - Hot or Iced!
For 3-4 people
Time: 45 minutes overall if you’re drinking it hot, add probably an hour in the fridge if you’re serving it cold
8 dl of water (3.5 cups)
15g (0.5 oz) of fresh ginger
1 cinnamon stick
3 star anises
2 pinchs of ground nutmeg
3 cardamom seeds
40g (1.5 oz) of brown sugar
4g (0.15 oz) of black tea (Assam, Ceylan…)
2 dl (0.8 cup) of milk
1. Peel the ginger and cut it into thin slices.
2. In a saucepan, pour the water and add the ginger, the cinnamon stick, the cloves, the star anises, the nutmeg and the cardamom seeds and bring it to a boil. Let it simmer on a low heat for 30 minutes with a lid on.
3. Add the sugar, cook for another couple of minutes then take it off the cooker.
4. Add the tea and let it brew 3 minutes.
5. Filter, then add the milk and bring to a boil. Do NOT put the lid back on, and keep an eye on it: when milk boils, it can go up very fast.
6a. Serve hot. Perfect on cold or rainy days when you need something to warm you up.
6b. Let it cool a little bit, then put it in the fridge for about an hour at least. Serve with ice cubes so it’s very fresh. Perfect on hot days when you feel like the sun is trying to kill you.